We sure did around here. It was a relaxing day that was filled with a lot of blessings… and eating!
We weren’t able to be with our family this year, but Skype and FaceTime has really made a difference in technology – and I was able to have conversations with family and friends from all over the world (Washington, South Carolina, and even China) via FaceTime and it was almost like being together – almost. My dad called on FaceTime from the terminal of the Atlanta airport on his way to visit family out of the country. He turned the phone around to show me the airport, and it was completely dead! I guess not many people fly internationally on Christmas day. Made it nice for him, he was getting on a 14 hour flight and there were lots of extra seats – Leg room, baby! ha
How was your Christmas? What did you do? I hope it was filled with blessings and love from your family, and hopefully your were able to set aside a time to quiet yourself and reflect on this season.
We spent some time with a great group of friends yesterday, enjoying the day together – and had a lot of fun. We decided to forego the large Christmas dinner idea so that nobody was spending the entire day in the kitchen, and went for a large pot of white chicken chili, salad, and yummy appetizers. Everybody pitched in and brought appetizers, dips, desserts, etc and we pretty much ate all day. It was divine! 🙂
One of the things I brought were these yummy peppermint Oreo truffles. They are so so good. They stay moist in the middle from the cream cheese, and they have just the slightest hint of peppermint flavor – not too overwhelming like a lot of peppermint flavored goodies. You could always increase or decrease the amount of peppermint candy used if you wanted to change it – or even omit it all together if you don’t like peppermint. These are a great way to use up those candy cane Christmas tree decorations, and would make a really great New Year’s Eve goody to bring for your parties. Hope you enjoy!
Peppermint Oreo Truffles (Adapted From: Kraft Recipes)
~ 12 peppermint candies, divided
1 package Oreo cookies
1 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
12 ounces dark (bittersweet) chocolate chips
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Here’s your lineup of what you’ll need
1. Place cookies and 8 peppermint candies in a food processor, pulsing until completely crushed.
2. Place cream cheese in food processor with crushed cookie mixture. Pulse until it makes a batter, and all cookie crumbs are combined. Place mixture in fridge for 20-30 minutes or until chilled.
3. While chilling, place remaining peppermint candies in a ziploc bag and crush into smaller pieces with a meat mallet or rolling pin (you’ll want bigger pieces, not fine dust)
4. Place chocolate chips and vegetable oil in a microwave-safe bowl, and melt in 30 second increments until completely smooth and melted.
5. Roll chilled cookie mixture into 1″ balls and place on parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
6. Dip rolled cookie mixture into chocolate using a small fork, covering entire ball with chocolate. Take out and tap fork on edge of bowl a few times to tap off excess chocolate. Top with remaining peppermint candy pieces immediately after dipping before the chocolate dries.
7. Continue dipping process with all of the balls. Place in refrigerator to harden approximately 30 minutes.