I’m originally from South Carolina, but currently living in California. You know what the best part about California in the winter is… ORANGES! They get nice and ripe right about now. All the rain turns those green globes nice and orange. Every variety can be found in the grocery store – blood oranges, navel oranges, mandarin’s, etc. Even these little beauties.
1. Combine butter and sugar in a mixer bowl and beat with paddle attachment until light and fluffy.
2. Break eggs in a small bowl, whisk to break up, then incorporate into the butter/sugar mix. Mix in orange marmalade.
3. Sift together flour, baking soda, and sea salt. Gently incorporate into wet mix until just combined. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled (@ 1-2 hrs.)
4. While dough chills, make orange icing. Combine citrus zests, juices, melted butter and sea salt in a bowl. Whisk in confectioners’ sugar until well combined and smooth. Cover and set aside.
4. Preheat oven to 300° F. Line sheet pans with baking paper or silpats.
5. Using 2 teaspoons, drop walnut sized cookie dough balls onto prepared sheet pans, spaced about 3″ apart. Bake for about 20 min. or until cookies are light brown. Remove from oven, transfer to wire rack and allow to cool completely.
6. After cookies are completely cool, ice them with a small spatula or butter knife.