I hope you have the most wonderful day with your family, friends, and loved ones.
I’m planning on doing the same. And while I’m at it, I’ll be enjoying a lot of good food.
I won’t be with family this year for the holidays, but we’ll be with our California family – laying around in our pajamas, all pitching in with good food, talking, playing games, eating, watching movies, and oh yeah… eating! 🙂
I made this eggnog french toast for breakfast for Archie and I and it was fantastic. The eggnog flavor is not strong at all, but the brown butter maple syrup will SERIOUSLY change your life! NOT kidding…. at…. all! Seriously people, go make the brown butter syrup right now. Then make this really easy and yummy french toast sticks recipe and serve it together for your family.
This recipe is a great way to use up all your leftover eggnog so it doesn’t get wasted! If you don’t like eggnog, you can definitely substitute the whole liquid amount for milk – but I don’t recommend it! 🙂
EGGNOG FRENCH TOAST WITH BROWN BUTTER MAPLE SYRUP (Adapted From Simply Scratch)
10 slices of thick break (I used buttermilk bread)
4 whole eggs, room temperature
2/3 cup eggnog, room temperature
2 tablespoons whole milk, room temperature
1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 stick butter
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. Slice bread into 4 slices each. In a shallow pan whisk together eggs, eggnog, milk, cooled butter, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
3. Dip the bread pieces into the egg mixture and place on a cookie cooling rack to drip off extra batter.
4. Place dipped pieces evenly on a cookie sheet, leaving a small amount of space between so they don’t stick. Place the sheets in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Turn over after 15 minutes and bake for another 15 minutes or until golden brown.
5. For syrup: Place the butter into a small skillet pan and melt – allowing to cook until butter turns golden, foam disappears, and it emits a nutty smell.
6. Combine the syrup and browned butter in a bowl and whisk to mix together. Serve with baked french toast.