1. That the weather hadn’t been over 90 degrees here all summer, and California weather was never hot.
Well, we sure got our fair share of it this week. It got to 106 degrees on Tuesday, and Monday and Wednesday were equally as hot. Our new house doesn’t have air conditioning, and when we walked in the house on Tuesday night at 6:30 our thermostat said 100 DEGREES!! We’ve just been sitting on our back porch trying to escape the heat. Our only saving grace is that it does cool off in the evenings! Luckily it was a short heat wave, and we’re already back on our way to 70 degree temperatures.
2. That I had found the best chocolate chip cookie recipe.. ever. Well, things sure have changed. My husband agrees too. 🙂 Now you have to try these too. Oh Darn!
I was reading through some of my favorite blogs, and came across something called Sugar High Friday’s by the Domestic Goddess, and this month’s challenge, using browned butter in your sweets, is hosted by 17 & Baking. This sounded like so much fun.
Molasses + Sugar = Homemade brown sugar – Awesomeness.
Butter + Cooking it on the stove = Browned Butter – Awesomeness.
Molasses + Browned Butter = Browned Butter Molasses Chocolate Chip Cookies – Even More Awesomeness
Joy The Baker came up with this awesome chocolate chip cookie recipe, and tweaking it a bit by browning the butter seemed like the perfect match up. Perfectly chewy goodness with just a hint of caramelized flavor from the butter. YUM!
P.S. I halved the recipe, and it turned out fine!
Browned Butter Molasses Chocolate Chip Cookies (Adapted from Joy the Baker)
2 sticks unsalted butter
2 cups plus 2 Tablespoons bread flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon dark molasses, not blackstrap
1 egg yolk
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups semi sweet or dark chocolate chips or chunks
sea salt for sprinkling on top of cookies just before baking – Don’t skip this step!!!
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees
2. Melt the butter in a skillet over medium-low heat until foam disappears and butter has a nutty smell, the color being light golden. Remove from heat.
2. Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda and set aside.
3. In a medium sized bowl, mix the granulated sugar and molasses until no large molasses clumps remain. – Homemade Brown Sugar!!
4. Pour the melted butter in a bowl of a mixer. Add the homemade brown sugar. Cream the butter and sugar on medium speed for about 3 minutes. Add the egg, egg yolk and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
5. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
6. Chill the dough for about 20 minutes, and then scoop onto parchment lined cookie sheets. Lightly sprinkle each ball with a couple flecks of sea salt to help bring out the chocolate flavor. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown checking the cookies after 5 minutes. Rotate the baking sheet for even browning.
Hello, I'm Rebekah! Wife to a creative guy and mom to one incredibly cute little man. I love to read (novels), run (especially races), drink lots of coffee (sweet and creamy please), and enjoy beautiful community with good conversation around a table (with delicious food). This space is all about meshing real life, good food, and beautiful pictures - of food of course.
You Don’t Know What You’ve Got Till It’s Gone 4 years ago
Peppermint Bark 7 years ago